Library History

TPPL Historical Timeline:

  • July 28, 1956: First library dedicated in at 6871 W. 171st Street. The temporary building was provided by George Hartman, builder; and the site donated by the Tinley Development Co.

  • June 13, 1957: Friends of the Library group formed.

  • April 29, 1959: Dedication of new building constructed at 6871 W. 171st Street. The library, staffed entirely by volunteers and maintained by donations, had seating room for 18 persons.

  • January, 1966: Became a member of the Suburban Library System.

  • October 16, 1971: Groundbreaking for new library, moved closer to the center of population.

  • May 19, 1974: Dedication of new building constructed at 17101 W. 171st Street. The building contained 25,000 square feet of space, but only the upper floor was used initially.

  • June 20, 1982: Dedication of new Children's department, lower level

  • June 10, 2003: Groundbreaking for new library building.

  • September 7, 2004: The new library opens its doors!

  • October 3, 2004: Dedication ceremony for the current library at 7851 Timber Drive.