Take-Home Technology Circulation Policy
Tinley Park Public Library cardholders with an account in good standing may check out technology equipment (defined as Nintendo Switches, ElGato Video Converters, Chromebooks, and mobile hotspots) for a loan period of 3 weeks (21 days). Devices are limited to Tinley Park Public Library patrons in good standing who are 18 years-old or older.
Limits and Availability
- Take-home Technology Devices can be checked out by patrons 18 years of age or older who are in good standing with the Library and who have a valid Tinley Park Public Library card
- Patrons must present their Tinley Park Public Library card and photo ID at checkout
- Eligible patrons may only borrow one device at a time with no renewals and certain devices may be bundled with a mobile hotspot
- Patrons may not alter, delete, or copy any software loaded on Tinley Park Public Library’s technology equipment or otherwise alter its existing configuration
Terms and Conditions
By checking out a device, Library patrons agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that unless bundled, I may only check out one device at a time.
- I will immediately inspect the device upon checkout and agree that it is in good condition.
- I agree to return the device to the Library by the due date and hand it to a Circulation Staff member at the Checkout Desk.
- I understand that I must return the device by or before the due date or late fees will accrue.
- I agree to call and inform Library staff immediately if the device is damaged, lost, stolen or malfunctioning.
- I agree to accept full financial responsibility for failure to return the device and accompanying equipment, and any damage incurred to the device through abuse, misuse, or operation contrary to the instructions supplied with the device while it is in my care.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to log out of any applications and remove personal data from the device prior to its return; all of my stored data will be erased upon check-in at the library. The library will not be held responsible for any questionable content viewed or accessed.
- I understand that my personal information is not being synchronized, shared, or distributed with any other device, library staff member, or member of the public.
- The Library is not responsible for any liability, damages, or expense resulting from use or misuse of the device to other electronic devices, or data loss resulting from use of the device. Any use of the device for illegal purposes is strictly prohibited, including unauthorized reproduction of copyright-protected material in any format, or creation and transmission of threatening, harassing, defamatory, or obscene materials.
- I will observe the policies specified in Tinley Park Public Library’s Internet Access and Computer Use policy and in this Take-home Technology Circulation Policy. I have read these policies, and I understand that violation of these policies may result in revocation of my library privileges.
Fines and Liability
- The borrower assumes all liability for the cost of repair or replacement in the event of loss, theft, damage, negligence, misuse, or operation contrary to the instructions supplied with the device.
- Late fees for Take-home Technology devices are $1.00 per day, not to exceed the cost of the item.
- The borrower’s checkout privileges may be suspended if the borrower violates this Take-home Technology Circulation Policy and User Agreement in any way.
Troubleshooting & Questions
- Questions and troubleshooting issues should be directed to the Adult Services Desk at 708.532.0160, x1.
- All applications are preloaded onto devices before being checked out. Staff are unable to provide login credentials to patrons. Patrons must bring the device back to the library for troubleshooting.
- The borrower will be held financially responsible for any damage to a device if they try to troubleshoot problems without guidance from library staff.
Download policy and user agreement
Board Approved 3/22/2023