- Award Books – Current nominees for Illinois student choice awards may be found on shelf unit 1, second floor. These awards include Monarch, Blue Stem, and Rebecca Caudill.
- Fairy Tales & Folklore – Located on the second floor in stack 63, bordering the southwest play area on the Upper Level.
- Foreign Language Books - We have modest collections of fiction and nonfiction materials in the Arabic, German, Hindi, Spanish, and Urdu languages, located on shelf unit 22 on the first floor. Foreign language books suitable for children may be found on shelf unit 27 on the second floor. (The same languages are represented there, plus French and Polish.)
- Genealogy – Our extensive collection of genealogical materials is intershelved with that of the Tinley Moraine Genealogists. Circulating genealogy materials may be found in the nonfiction collection on the east side of shelf unit 19.
- Graphic Novels – Adult graphic novels (both fiction and nonfiction) are stored on the east side of shelf unit 22. Graphic novels appropriate for teens are located directly under the “Teen Collection” sign at the northeast part of the second floor (on stacks numbered 39, 44, & 51). Junior Graphic Novels are located along the east wall of the second floor.
- Investment Tools – Our subscriptions include ValueLine, Standard & Poors Outlook, and many others. Most are stored at the Adult Reference Desk.
- Local Author Collection – Our circulating collections of works by authors residing in Tinley Park and Orland Hills, and in Cook and Will counties.
The Local Author Shelves are located on the Main Level behind the Adult Reference Desk and near the elevator on the Upper Level.
If you are an author residing in one of the above communities you are invited to submit your work for inclusion in this collection. Please download and fill out our Submission Form.
- Local History – More than 200 documents, maps, and brochures focusing on the history of Tinley Park are stored in our office. A print index is available. Please ask at the Adult Reference Desk.
- Microfilm – We have archival microfilm for tlocal newspapers, including the Tinley Park Times, dating back to 1929, with several gaps. Please call in advance to find out if we have a particular date or date range.
- Oversize – Books that are too large to fit on regular shelves are kept in the northwest corner of the Main Level.
- Parenting – A modest collection on topics of interest to parents, including literacy skills, potty training, and dealing with food allergies. This collection is on shelf unit 11 & 20 on the Upper Level.
- Poetry & Junior Picture Books – A separate collection of poetry for young people may be found on shelf unit 7, second floor.
- Pop-Ups – We have a small collection of children’s pop-up books that may be enjoyed in the library only. These are found atop shelf unit 11 on the second floor.
- Songbooks – Our large collection of piano-vocal scores, fakebooks, and collections of sheet music is stored along the north wall of the Main Level.
- Teen Classics & Literature Notes – Classic titles that are often on required reading lists for school assignments and standardized tests. Located on the second floor, northwest corner.
- Textbooks – Selected K-12 textbooks from school districts 140, 146, 161, and 230 can be found on shelf unit 30, near the second floor computers. These are for use in the library only.
- Yearbooks – Integrated with the reference genealogy collection is a large assortment of yearbooks from Chicagoland high schools and colleges, some dating back to the 1920s. Stored in the Adult Reference Office are a run of yearbooks from Tinley Park High School (1963 to present) and Victor J. Andrew High School (1978 to present). Please ask at the Adult Reference Desk if you would like to review these yearbooks in-house.