Open March 1–25
We are pleased to launch our first-ever amateur photography contest! Grab your camera and take this opportunity to tell us your story of our library. Show us what fascinates or inspires you when you walk inside our doors or stroll the beautiful grounds surrounding our building. Stop by the library to view the contest entries and vote for the winners during National Library Week, April 9–15. In addition, a special voting exhibition will be part of our booth at the Discover Tinley Expo on Saturday, April 8. Prizes will be awarded to the winners, whose work will be displayed on our Main Level. A submission form will be available on the front page of the library website beginning March 1.
Rules & Regulations
- This contest is open to amateurs only. A professional is defined as one whose primary source of income (50%) or more results from his/her photographic work.
- Only Tinley Park and Orland Hills residents age 13 and older are eligible to enter this contest. The preliminary judging panel and their immediate families are not eligible to enter this contest.
- Contest runs from Wednesday, March 1, 2017 through midnight, Saturday, March 25, 2017.
- Photos entered into the contest must be owned and taken by the entrant.
- Images previously published are not eligible.
- Photographic content should be appropriate for display in the public library. The Tinley Park Public Library retains sole discretion as to what constitutes appropriate content.
- It is the responsibility of the contestant to obtain written or verbal release for public use of the photo from all persons in the photograph submitted. The photographer accepts all liability from the use of the photo where this release has not been obtained.
- The Tinley Park Public Library will not be held responsible for loss of or any damages that may occur to submitted photos.
- It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure that submissions meet size and format requirements (see Submission Information). Submissions that do not meet these requirements will automatically disqualified.
- Contest winners agree to grant the Tinley Park Public Library use of their photograph and name for promotional purposes online, in print, and all other media for editorial, advertising, and promotional purposes in connection with the contest without payment or additional compensation unless prohibited by law.
Contest Categories & Age Groups
- Self Portrait or Selfie
- Library Grounds & Building
- Abstract/Artistic (Black & White photos are allowed in this category only)
- Age Groups
- 13 – 17 years old
- 18 years and older
- Limit one (1) entry per person, per category.
- Entries will be accepted from March 1, 2017 through midnight on March 25, 2017.
- Photos may be submitted beginning March 1 at tplibrary.org/photo-contest
- Submission of photos must abide by the following criteria:
- Photos should be submitted in JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg) format, and the file size may not exceed 8MB.
- To ensure optimal print quality, submitted photos must have the following dimensions: 2400 x 3000 (pixels) portrait or landscape orientation.
- Black and white photos will not be considered unless submitted to the Abstract/Artistic category.
- Hard copies of photos will not be accepted and therefore, will not be returned.
- Submission of photo(s) is final. Photos cannot be resubmitted.
- A maximum of 18 photos will be printed using the library’s equipment in order to ensure consistency in size and print quality.
- The 18 finalists’ photographs will be on display in our building and on our website for voting purposes during National Library Week.
- Winners of the Library Impressions Amateur Photography contest consent to the use of their photo for display purposes within the library.
- The preliminary judging panel shall consist of members of the Tinley Park Public Library staff and experienced local photographers.
- The preliminary judging panel will choose at most three (3) submissions per category and age group with a maximum total of 18 photo submissions as finalists.
- All decisions by our preliminary judging panel are final.
- Finalists will be notified via email by Saturday, April 1, 2017.
- Finalist submissions will be judged by the public from Sunday, April 9 through Saturday, April 15.
- The public will have an additional opportunity to judge finalist submissions at Discover Tinley on Saturday, April 8 from 10 am to 3 pm.
- Two (2) prizes will be awarded in each category, one per age group, for a total of six (6) winners.
- Winners in each category will receive a $50 Amazon gift card.
- All six (6) winners’ photos will be part of a photography display on the library’s first floor and featured on the library’s website and social media pages.
- Winners will be notified via email the week of April 16, 2017.
- Following notification of the winners, all contest entries may be viewed on our website for approximately two weeks.
- Our thanks to the Friends of the Tinley Park Public Library for donating the prizes.
Photo Finalist Exhibition and Patron Voting
- Visit the library between Sunday, April 9, 2017 through Saturday, April 15, 2017 to vote for your favorite photos in person or on our website at tplibrary.org.
- One vote, per category, per person.
- All instances of duplicate voting will be monitored and are prohibited.
- Additional viewing and voting will take place at the Library’s booth at Discover Tinley on Saturday, April 8, 2017 from 10 am to 3 pm. This event is held at the Tinley Park Convention Center.
For questions, please contact Sue Bailey, Marketing & Adult Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708.845.5719
Need extra pointers to get started?
Register for Photography Basics led by Tinley Park photographer Tom Gill, stop by our Photoshop Q&A, take a Lynda.com photography class (log in with your Tinley Park Library card & PIN here then check out the Photography learning path), or browse our collection for inspiration.